Project Tax Relax: Sometimes the 1040 isn’t “EZ”
Tyler Ryan learns about ways to relax during stressful times like tax season
COLUMBIA SC (WOLO)–With taxes due in a few short days, it can be a very stressful, as you sift through recipepts, see up close and personal just how much Uncle Sam dips into our pockets, and work to ensure your return doesn’t include any “red flags.”
“Stress affects the whole body,” says Hand and Stone’s Pam Burgess. Burgess points out that April is also stress awareness month – perhaps not by accident…With all the stress we carry during tax season, and just life in general, Burgess says there are several things you can do to relieve some of the pressures of life.
Here are a few tips that Burgess says will help:
- If you’re sitting for extended periods of time, STAND UP! Cortisol is an indicator of stress, and lack of physical activity leads to high cortisol and hormone imbalances.
- There are a number of trigger points in the feet that are connected to different parts of the body. Try rolling a golf ball/frozen water bottle underneath the feet.
- Roll a tennis ball underneath your back, focusing on tension areas.
- Focus on your breathing. When we are stressed, we tend to take rapid shallow breaths.
- Many therapists recommend adult coloring books to beat stress because they help us achieve “mindfulness.”
Essential oils are another great way to de-stress, according to Burgess. Here is her list of oils and how they can positively impact you:
Lifting your Mood Tangerine Essential Oil
Stimulating circulation Lemongrass Essential Oil
Decrease pain Clove Essential Oil
Chamomile Spritzer Relaxing nerves, anti-anxiety (made with tea and put into bottle then refrigerate)
Mini Stones Reflexology Point Relief in Feet to relieve pain and stress And Reflexology Chart
Large Stones Can be heated or frozen to bring relief to achy muscles
Tiger Balm Headache relief and for tight neck and shoulders
You can get more tips and information on relaxing HERE.